Adapted from The Perpetual Page-Turner
I look forward to this survey every year, as it’s yet another chance to book push all my favorites on you guys. You might notice that there’s LOT of repetition in my answers this year, but it’s only because I truly love these books and hope more people will read them. Or maybe it’s because I’ve forgotten 80% of the books I’ve read and these are the only ones whose titles I still remember. ?
- Number of books you read?
- Number of re-reads?
- Number of DNF’s?
- Number of audiobooks?
59 (way down from 2016!)
- Genre you read the most in 2017?
With rereads: Fantasy edged out mystery/thrillers by a single book!
Without rereads: Mystery/Thrillers
- Best book you read in 2017?
- Worst book you read in 2017?
You or Passenger to Frankfurt
- Number of buddy reads in 2017?
- Best buddy read of 2017?
Starfish with Cait and Assassin’s Fate with my Hobb Squad
- Worst buddy read of 2017?
You or Passenger to Frankfurt, both with Sebastian
- Most read book of 2017?
A Conjuring of Light (4 times)
- Number of series started in 2017?
- Number of series finished/DNF’d in 2017?
- Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Eliza and Her Monsters, Strange the Dreamer, The Tiger’s Daughter, True Grit, We Are Okay, Kings of the Wyld, and Dreadnought
- Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2017?
The Wolf Road – I was close to DNF’ing it but ended up loving it! Eliza and Her Monsters was surprising in a bad way, since I loved it up to 80% and ended up rating it two stars.
- Book you “pushed” the most people to read in 2017?
Robin Hobb’s Realm of the Elderlings series, Daughter of the Forest, Failure to Communicate, Starfish, Katrina Leno’s books, and The Flight of the Silvers
- Best series you started in 2017? Best sequel of 2017? Best series you ended in 2017?
Started: The Unhewn Throne trilogy and Xandri Corelel
Sequel: Down Among the Sticks and Bones and The Song of the Orphans
Ended: Fitz and the Fool and Shades of Magic
- Best standalone:
Starfish, The Hate U Give, Dear Martin, and Everything All At Once
- Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Kaia Sønderby, Brian Staveley, Angie Thomas, Akemi Dawn Bowman, Agatha Christie, Jo Nesbø
- Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Murder on the Orient Express (I know classics aren’t a genre, but they’re definitely outside my comfort zone)
- Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Fourth Monkey and Origin
- Book you read in 2017 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Failure to Communicate
- Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
Strange the Dreamer, Starfish, The Obelisk Gate, and The Wolf Road
- Most memorable character of 2017?
Gwenna from the Unhewn Throne trilogy, Xandri from Failure to Communicate, and Jo Nesbø’s Harry Hole
- Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Strange the Dreamer
- Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2017?
Dear Martin and The Hate U Give
- Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
And Then There Were None
- Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2017?
I didn’t record many quotes this year, but I really like „hate ricochets, but kindness does too“ from A List of Cages
- Shortest & longest books in 2017?
Longest: It (1478 pages)
Shortest: Lullaby for a Lost World (14 pages)
- Shortest & longest audiobooks in 2017?
Longest: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (29 hours, 46 minutes)
Shortest: Lyra’s Oxford (48 minutes)
- Book that shocked you the most?
The Song of the Orphans
- OTP of the year (you will go down with this ship!)?
I didn’t ship that much this year, but I love all the ships in A Conjuring of Light
- Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Fitz, the Fool, and Nighteyes
- Favorite book you read in 2017 from an author you’ve read previously?
Assassin’s Fate, A Conjuring of Light, The Song of the Orphans, and Everything All At Once
- Favorite book you read in 2017 from a new-to-you author?
Failure to Communicate, Starfish, Dear Martin, The Providence of Fire
- Best book you read in 2015 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure?
The Unhewn Throne trilogy, Starfish, and Failure to Communicate
- Best 2017 debut you read?
Starfish, The Hate U Give, and Dear Martin
- Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
The world in City of Miracles
- Hidden gem of the year?
Failure to Communicate
- Book that put a smile on your face/was the most FUN to read?
The Library at Mount Char
- Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2017?
- Book that crushed your soul?
Starfish, Dear Martin, and The Hate U Give
- Most unique book you read in 2017?
The Tea Dragon Society
- Book that made you the maddest (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Dear Martin, The Hate U Give, and Starfish
- Favorite supporting character?
The entire cast of The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
- Best audiobook?
The Providence of Fire and Bruderlüge
- One book you didn’t get to in 2017 but will be your number one priority in 2018?
Just one? Really? Before the Devil Breaks You, Six Stories, and A Summer Revenge
- Book you are most anticipating for 2018 (non-debut)?
Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno
- 2018 debut you are most anticipating?
A Thousand Perfect Notes
- Series ending/a sequel you are most anticipating in 2018?
Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire and Vengeful by Victoria Schwab
- Best buddy reader?
Sebastian! We buddy read 65 books, and most of them we got to read together on the couch, which is pretty much the best thing ever.
- Best book discusser?
- Best book recommender?
Bookstagram, particularly the #grimdragon community
- Best bookish event that you participated in?
The #grimdragon monthly challenge
- Best moment of bookish life?
Starting the Hobb Squad Instagram account with my friends Steph, Shari, Alyssa, and Jess. We’ve gotten to interact with Robin Hobb, host a hugely successful giveaway, and were even sent Robin Hobb’s novella by her publisher.
- Favorite Bookstagram account you discovered in 2017?
Way too many to list! I met so many amazing bookstagrammers this year, and I’m lucky to have them as friends. <3
- Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you set for yourself at the beginning of the year?
I met my reading goal, which I really wasn’t sure would happen after the move! Sadly, I was two away from finishing the Popsugar challenge.
- A 2018 release you’ve already read & recommend to everyone?
A Thousand Perfect Notes by my friend Cait. I think everyone should read it!
Female Authors: 55%
Male Authors: 45%
How was your reading year?
Did we share any favorites?
Which hidden gems did I miss?
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /www/htdocs/w00e036f/buechermonster/wp-content/plugins/microkids-related-posts/microkids-related-posts.php on line 645